School Logo

Ty Gwyn

Education Centre

“Believing in young people/Credu mewn pobl ifanc”.

Contact Details

I Wish My Teacher Knew

Children Looked After (CLA)

Ty Gwyn is a CLA Friendly School (platinum award) and this is our pledge:


Our school signs up to the following CLA Friendly School principles:

  • We have all received CLA Friendly School Awareness Training (Level 1) and understand that attachment awareness is ‘everybody’s business’ and needs to underpin all our practice.
  • We recognise that all behaviour is communication and respond accordingly with with awareness of attachment thinking.
  • We use CLA Friendly Schools Framework Document as a working tool to guide our whole school practice.
  • We know that our school will succeed, and achieve good attendance and results when the Social, Emotional and Mental Health needs of staff, children, young people and families is prioritised.
  • We recognise the importance of reflective practice, and support staff to build this into their everyday work, in order to effectively manage their roles.
  • We will do all we can to enable children and young people to remain securely based in our school.
  • We know that children and young people do best when professionals work collaboratively and harmoniously together with parents/carers/families.
  • We recognise that good leadership in schools will achieve these principles of inclusion.

As a Rights Respecting School, we promote Article#12 The right to have your views heard and taken seriously!

Help getting your voice heard - Advocacy and Complaints


You are entitled to be heard and to have your views, wishes and feelings listened to. 

If you need help with getting your voice heard you can ask for an advocate to help you.


An advocate is an independent person who does not work for Rhondda Cynon Taf Council who can help you get your opinion or worries across or can speak on your behalf if you wish.


You can speak to an advocate about lots of different things such as;

  • I don’t like what’s happening
  • I want things to change
  • I am unhappy where I live
  • I don’t understand
  • I am being bullied
  • I want to stay where I am


What does an advocate do?

An advocate does not decide what is good or bad for you, they do not have an opinion about what you should say or do; their job is to stand up for what you want.

An advocate can accompany you to your review meetings and other meetings to support you, to speak for you if you feel nervous or in some cases they might attend on your behalf.

If you decide that you want to make a complaint an advocate can help you to do so.

If you would like an advocate to come and talk to you, you can either ask your social worker, Independent Reviewing Officer or you can visit or call them on 0800 4703930/01443 805940.


What is an Independent Visitor?

Independent visitors are volunteers who choose to spend some of their free time with children and young people who are looked after.

They spend time getting to know the children and young people that they visit, they might do this as part of an activity, or just spend some time talking and listening to them away from the placement.

Independent Visitors usually support people who have no contact or very little contact with their families and would like to have someone who chooses to spend time with them.

If you think you would like an independent visitor then ask your social worker, Independent Reviewing Officer or visit


If you are unhappy about something and want to complain

If you are unhappy or something is bothering you, you should tell someone you trust about it rather than keeping it to yourself.

If you feel you are not being listened to, and nothing is changing, you can make a complaint.

There are lots of things you can complain about. Here are some examples;

  • I am not happy in my placement and would like to move
  • My social worker keeps changing
  • Nobody listens to me
  • I’m unhappy with the way I am treated
  • Everything takes too long to happen
  • I was settled in my last placement and you have now moved me to another placement

There are lots of different ways you can make a complaint. You could ask for an Advocate who will explain the whole complaints process to you and be by your side throughout it all.

You don’t have to make a complaint through an advocate though. You can ask any adult you trust to make a complaint on your behalf or you could do it yourself.

To find out more information about how to make a complaint, please contact the Children’s Services Complaints Unit on the free phone number (0800) 5877324 or e-mail

Get in touch with Ty Gwyn staff, your email will be treated in confidence. Mrs Cox-Wall is the named teacher to help.

If you want to ask something or are worried about something, get in touch. We also have "I wish my teacher knew" on the home page of the website and in this children's section if you want to ask for help for your self or someone else.